Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Perfect Grilled Cheese


Here's how I make a perfect grilled cheese, with a few influences from the Grilled Cheese Truck.  After a tour from Michele Grant, I learned how they make their incredible Cheesy Mac and Rib, which features macaroni and cheese with sharp cheddar, BBQ pork and caramelized onions.

Psst... a secret.  They use a thin layer of mayo to take this sandwich to the next level.  If I had more time, I'd add mac and cheese and pulled pork to this sandwich, but usually the caramelized onions are enough.

Ingredients for two:

First, saute 1/4 cup of chopped onions in a dash of olive oil and sprinkle of salt and pepper. If you have an open bottle of white wine, add a splash too.

Using fluffy bread (I used 45 calorie Sara Lee wheat bread for the photo) spread room temperature butter over one side of the bread and then spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on top.

Lay one slice of bread with the butter/mayo side down, then a slice of cheese, then layer of grilled onions, then another slice of cheese and then top with the other side of bread.

Grill for two minutes on each side, then dig in.  Prepare the other sandwich for a friend or enjoy the second if you're really hungry!

4 comments:

freeway-J said...

That sounds good and easy to make. Have you ever had the short rib grilled cheese at The Foundry on Melrose? SO GOOD!

Unknown said...

I remember grilled cheese at school. It's a fav. allover with or w/out the extras...yum

CG said...

Growing up my mom always put mustard on my grilled cheese. It added an extra zing!

Mmmm so delish.

xo gracie

check out my blog, I'm new to the world and would love for you to follow!!
cosmopolitangem.blogspot.com

Deco Aurora said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I found out about the GCT earlier this year on one of those shows about L.A. glad I saw it. I made a point to go when I was visiting with friends in Hollywood this summer. Here is my experience http://decoaurora.blogspot.com/2010/06/relaxing-day-in-la.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

statcounter