Saturday, February 21, 2009

Toasting Oscar

First of all, let me say these beautiful photos are by Elise Thompson of laist.com. This is a link to her article. (Of course I forget my camera the day I get to do something visually stunning & ridiculously fun.)

I previewed the Academy Awards Governors Ball with Wolfgang Puck. Check out this first photo. It's a chocolate bento box dessert, completely edible and each drawer holds a different surprise. To die for!

Wolfgang Puck won my ultimate respect when he won Iron Chef America a few years ago. Plus, I love going to lunch at Spago with my mom. If you don't get it, this brilliant article from Gourmet magazine sells the experience more articulately than I ever could.


Wolfgang made mini kobe beef burgers with aged cheddar (pictured above). Check out the cherry tomato slices. He toasted the buns on a little grill. I love anything in miniature.

The theme of this year's Governors Ball is "Chinois" according to Puck (Fitting, since he owns Chinois on Main).

Sequoia Productions executed the design. The color scheme is sea foam, bronze and a hint of metallic silver. The theme is "understated elegance" because of the nation's economic crisis. Sure, the arrangements aren't over the top and the design might be a bit more pared down, but there are still 900 staff for the 1,500 guests who will be attending. Plus, this is the Oscars. I don't think anyone's expecting subtlety.

Here's the recipe for one of the drinks that will be served at the Governors Ball. If you don't drink alcohol, I'm sure this would be great with pomegranate and blood orange sodas.

The Red Carpet Fizz
1/2 oz Pomegranate Juice
1/3 oz Orange Liquor
Add Fresh Raspberries
Top with Moët & Chandon White Star Champagne

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

statcounter