Sunday, June 22, 2008

Man's Survival Depends On His Design

That's what's printed on Richard Neutra's headstone. He's buried in the backyard of the Richard Neutra VDL House in Silver Lake. There we are in the backyard/cemetery.


He used mirrors and windows creatively throughout the house to trick the eye and give the impression of a larger space. As I walked up the stairs, for a moment it felt like the ceiling was doubly high. In the tiny bedrooms mirrors face each other to give the feeling of a hallway at the end of the room.



The windows in the house are incredible. The first photo shows floor to ceiling windows and just outside of the room a shallow pool of water. In the second, check out the gigantic sliding windows that let in the breeze. The third photo shows how Neutra played with lines, extending walls past the living space.


On the penthouse level, there are no chairs. You just lean against a pads that line the wall. Love it. There's Cassandra from coco+kelly browsing the bookshelves on the second floor.


Below is our group on the rooftop. There's Robert too... :)

3 comments:

Annie Crowninshield said...

cutie patooties! 2E and I had our wedding shower yesterday otherwise I would have been there fo' sure.

Armilyn and David said...

Darn it! My husband and I rsvp'd, but the babysitter fell through at the last minute. Looked fun and my husband is a big Neutra fan.

Armilyn

Anonymous said...

Wow...I absolutely adore your blog! From Neutra to Dorothy Draper to the interiors at the Polo Lounge and the new club (which I haven't yet seen) and everything else... it's just great stuff! Also love the clean layout and design - you rock!
I am *so* sorry about your Audrey... I have had to say goodbye to a kitty and it was just awful. It sucked (sorry), it really did. :-(
I hope it gets better.... I'm sending cross-country good thoughts your way.
TP

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

statcounter