Ever wonder where I get my je ne sais quoi? That certain something comes from my mother. This Southern belle was Homecoming Queen, in the Glee Club, a cheerleader and moved to Los Angeles after graduating from high school. She met my dad at the drive-in and married my Mexican/Portuguese daddy because he didn't look like any of the boys from back home and he was a charmer too.
When it comes to Thanksgiving, momma rules the roost. Don't worry, when Christmas rolls around, I'm all about tamales, tres leches and all of that latin flavor! Sadly, there aren't enough Southern restaurants here in LA and it's the epitome of comfort food. There's a reason when I met Paula Deen I felt like I was running into a long lost relative. She acted the same way. LOVE Southern hospitality.
Here's my working menu for next week. Input is welcome.
- Roast Turkey
- Aunt Diane's chicken and cornbread dressing (this is non-negotiable. best stuffing/dressing ever)
- Cranberry Sauce
- Mashed/Scalloped Potatoes/Potatoes Gratin... which?
- Homemade or Instant rolls, depending on the time I have.
- Baked sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter
- Pumpkin Pie. Always.
- Turnip greens/sauteed spinach or gasp! green bean casserole
Ok, what am I forgetting? What are YOU serving??