Thursday, October 07, 2010

Green Chile & Chicken Enchiladas


I've been craving spicy comfort food and nothing beats my grandma's chicken enchiladas and green chile.


First, roast green chiles over open flame.  The skin blisters and chars, then pop them in a plastic bag to let them sweat for 15 minutes and the skins fall right off.


I browned chunks of pork loin with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Then I added one chopped onion, cooked until translucent.  Add chiles and promptly cover with 2 cups water.


Add one chopped russet potato to thicken the sauce.  Let simmer for an hour.


That's when I started my enchiladas, which are impossible to make and take photos of at the same time!  It's serious assembly line action.


Check out the green chile.  I took a potato masher and worked in the meat and potatoes for about 30 seconds.  It helps combine the potatoes with the sauce and incorporate the flavors with the meat.

Now to the enchilada sauce.  I thin it with a bit of water and heat it to a simmer.  I dip corn tortillas in this and also add some enchilada sauce to the shredded chicken to keep it moist.


These beauties are filled with chicken, chopped onions, black olives and cheese.  Cover generously with cheese so they don't dry out while cooking.  Leftover black olives make it pretty.  I cover them loosely with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.


Time to eat!  As you serve, cover the enchiladas in more sauce and a dash of cilantro.  I love cilantro, so I added it to my green chile, paired with spanish rice and beans.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

statcounter