Thursday, November 20, 2008

Let Them Eat Cake



My girlfriend Christy and I were bantering about Sofia Coppola yesterday and when I mentioned Marie Antoinette, she mentioned The Virgin Suicides and then I thought of Lost In Translation. Because I've been daydreaming a lot lately - a side effect of exhaustion - I realized all three films have a sense of isolation. Literally in The Virgin Suicides, but I really love the other two and how they relate to human connection.

Lost In Translation is melancholy, but of all three, seems to be the most hopeful. A non-traditional love story between two very different people at opposite places in their lives. Their relationship is brief but their connection is true.

Contrast that with Marie Antoinette. (Sure, it skims the surface of history. I know, I know.) There's such a lack of connection, the young queen seeks happiness in frivolity and excess.





Because a little excess never hurt anybody.  Did you see the video and notice the quick shot of converse at ten seconds?  A nod to Marie Antoinette's age. Sofia is genius!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I also enjoy how all three of Sofia's films are a bit autobiographical. It's always fun to tap into your voyeur side and get a little peek into what a celebrity is thinking/feeling/going through...

AshleyL. said...

Ms. Coppola's work fascinates me and my imagination. Love this post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

statcounter