Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Seen Behind the Scene






For Christmas I received a signed copy of Seen Behind the Scene : forty years of photographing on set by Mary Ellen Mark. She's a gifted American photographer. Sure, she's photographed celebrities on gorgeous sets and Mother Teresa. What I wouldn't give to have met Mother Teresa!
Mark has also traveled around the world capturing the humanity of people on the edges of society, like women who live in Indian brothels (Falkland Road: Prostitutes of Bombay) and in a psychiatric ward (Ward 81).
A quote from Mark: "I'm just interested in people on the edges. I feel an affinity for people who haven't had the best breaks in society. What I want to do more than anything is acknowledge their existence."

6 comments:

Alya said...

Wow those photos are so deep. I would love to see her Ward 81 and Falkland Road pictures..

Katrina Lynn said...

ok, that pic of the 6 yr. old smoking disturbs me. Other then that, the rest are awesome! ;)

xo, K.

applevenusian said...

Wow, I love these photos. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favorite books & movies.

Annie Empiric said...

fantastic!

Richard said...

I agree with Katrina, the little girls freaked me out. Very disturbing.....are you a closet smoker Suzi? Just kidding!

Jennifer Ramos said...

Ha! those pics are wild..!

Jen Ramos
'Cards & Prints You'll Love...'
www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

statcounter